Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sewing? Is It Really More Moola?


I have a wonderful friend who is a fantastic seamstress.  Elizabeth is also a homeschooling mom of two young ladies, and we recently discussed my recent post about clothing at length with some very important things to consider when comparing the price of sewing a garment verses either a sales item or a second hand purchased one....we even compared the freebie one in some instances!


1. Quality of the garment upon completion.  Good quality garments that fit well are almost priceless if you either have a fitting issue OR you want a very nice garment that could last for a long time.  Deep hems and longer lengths, tailored for a specific person are just a few perks!

2.  Fit. Sometimes our children or ourselves have fitting "issues" that make 'ready to wear' store  items not look as well or as complementary as they could.  Sewing can accommodate all shapes and sizes! Modesty issues can be addressed with sewing as well!

3. Materials used.  It's true that recently, fabrics are more costly than in the past, but if we consider that often these will last longer, it could be well worth the investment.

4. Number of children to use or years of wear.  If a family has multiples of either boys or girls, it makes great sense to make quality garments that can be passed down from child to child.  It's entirely possible that store bought could be done this way too,  but unless they are good quality fabrics, often they will fade, shrink, or get holes or seams will let loose or come open!

5.  The patterns can be reused or sold.  We particularly discussed this at length because while patterns do add significantly to the price of a handmade garment, these can either be reused or sold at a later time to recoup the investment or even used to make gifts for others by sewing garments for others.  The more times a pattern is used the less costly the initial lay out.  I actually borrowed a pattern of hers for my daughter three years ago...I was thankful she had it!

6. Specialness or heirloom quality. There is truly something special about a handmade garment for one who learns or has learned to appreciate the time, skill and thoughtfulness of the seamstress in creating the garment.  Often these clothes can be saved for future generations.  I really did not do this with my daughter much. I did make her some clothing along the way when she was younger, but did find some really gorgeous hand smocked dresses and embroidered ones at some wonderful prices at yard sales.  My son, he was always in the cutest little suits with the knee socks and buck shoes...coat and bow tie! I found all of this at yardsales...or consignment shops! But I did make one Easter dress for my daughter out of batik.  I was happy to share it with another child later, but really I should have saved it for her daughter in some years to come! Well, WHAT was I thinking other than giving? Anyway, the Lord knows...but this kind of thing can be put back...I guess I will make the grandbaby something special huh? But you get my point...heirloom~special!

Yes! Sewing still is a pricey solution to clothing the family in some instances unless you can either hand down the items, share patterns or reuse or sell, and plan to keep the items made into the future! But it can be a worthy investment.  You will have to decide what is best for your budget.

If you don't sew, consider learning some basics so you can mend and keep buttons on~this will extend whatever clothing you have for your family!


Still trying to keep my money for what I'd like to spend it on verses things that want to ROB ME of it!

No comments: